Tuesday, May 25, 2010

OMFG!!! That must be why...

Today was a very interesting day. We ordered our clutch after consulting with Lee over at Mcleod Racing, he advised us that their their Mag Force clutch would be the best for our application. So $1400+ later when I got home. I decided that I was going to swap out the front tires and put them in the rear. When jacked up, I noticed that the front wheel had a lot of slop and the entire wheel was really loose! I mean really loose, like a prostitute. But it wasn't from the wheel nuts but from the hub to the spindle. So after further investigation, I discovered the other side was loose also and that the hub was not seated all the way against the knuckle. Then the light bulb hit and realized that this must be why the car was driving inconsistent and had lots of under steer at times. So I took it over to PrecisonZ and let them deal with it because I wanted to change my alignment settings anyway. So what I'm guessing the problem was, that maybe since I removed the dust shield, that it left a gap or since the knuckle was powder coated, it might of had a lip from where the spindle was masked off, not allowing it to seat all the way against the knuckle. When I installed it, I just torqued it to spec and assumed it was good. So after drifting on Friday, it probably got even looser. So what precisionZ did was impact gun the hub in and even after all that torque, there was still a little slop. Has anybody else ever have this problem. I was thinking about putting a huge washer between the hub and knuckle to compensate for the dust shield. It could also possibly be that my bearings are shot. I did buy them used. But anyways, she's on really tight and I got my alignment. We'll check her out on the track this Thursday to see how if that was the problem. Stay tuned...

Comments (0)

Post a Comment