Friday, April 16, 2010

Welded!! hmmm... Let's give it a shot...

So after hours of internet drifting on which differential setup I was going to go with, I decided to try welding my diff. I previously had a Kaaz 2 way on my S13 and I really liked it. It was aggressive just the way I liked but it was just so expensive. So anyways, I bought an extra open diff to weld so I can see how it is compared to a clutch type 2 way LSD. I also read somewhere that both Rhys Millan and Dai Yoshihara loved how the spooled diff felt and how it was a lot more predictable and solid. Spooled is pretty much like a welded diff in which it is always 100% locking in acceleration and deceleration, so if its good enough for them, it should be good enough for me. Here's a few pix of my welded diff. I decided to remove the pinion gears and weld the gears to the casing rather than welding the spider gears together like most people do. I also used a heavy duty 400amp welder to make sure my welds penetrate the thick metal.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment